Science Lab starts with our Junior Kindergarten (age 4). They visit one time per week to help them transition into science in a laboratory setting. Their curriculum centers around the Quirkles book series. Each week students investigate a new science concept by reading a story and conducting a hands-on experiment.
Senior Kindergarten and First Graders visit twice a week, while the Second through Sixth Grades visit three days a week. The science program for Senior Kindergarten through Sixth Grades focuses on four basic areas: earth sciences, biology, chemistry, and physics. The curriculum spirals, meaning that all four of these concepts are repeated at increasing levels of difficulty as the student progresses through the grades. The students are required to demonstrate an increasingly sophisticated understanding of the concepts that are presented. The approach is very experiential incorporating many hands-on activities. A challenging curriculum is created using note taking skills, laboratory experiments, projects, multi-draft lab reports, tests and quizzes. Leadership skills are practiced during small group lab work.
The Health curriculum is introduced in Fifth and Sixth grades and focuses on human body systems, human growth and development, and diet and exercise.
Students in all grades are involved in the planting, care, and harvesting of our six raised garden beds. During the warmer months, crops are grown in all of the beds. During the winter months, beds are planted with cold hardy crops and covered with a low tunnel system so that your child can garden year round. When possible, crops are harvested and your child will participate in the preparation of recipes using what was grown.
Students in all grades participate in the observation and care of our observation honeybee hive. The hive acts as a catalyst for study in a myriad of different ways within the science curriculum.
Students at Rohan Woods School have been very busy in and out of the science lab...
Fall has been a busy season for the science students at RWS. We have studied our honey bees, worked in our vegetable garden, expanded our native prairie habitat, gone on field trips in St. Louis and California, and done amazing work in the lab!
- JK students have enjoyed their first visits to the science lab. They have read Andy Acid, Botanist Bert, Colorful Caroline, Density Dan, and Ellie Electricity and enjoyed experimenting on the science concepts they learned from each story
- SK students are conducting investigations into what living things need. We focused specifically on the honey bee life cycle and plants.
- 1st Graders are enjoying their study of mixtures, specifically soil.
- The 2nd Grade is taking a deep dive into plant life, from seeds, to the whole plant, to flowers, and fruit.
- The 3rd Grade has been diligently working in the lab to learn about metric measurements. In addition, they added on the next segment of our native prairie.
- The 4th Grade has enjoyed exploring space.
- The Middle School prepared for their trip to Yosemite National Park and are working on reflecting on their trip and creating presentations about their trip to share with our school community.
- 5th Grade Health is studying nutrition.
- 6th Grade Health is learning about body systems and most recently studied the skeletal system.